Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm Ba-a-ack

Hello Hello!
Well, it's been awhile since I wrote. Last week we racked the 2008 wines. Everything is tasting great. I've been focused on the 2007's for the last bit, and the 2008's have been patiently biding their time in barrel. We moved wine from the new barrels into some older ones. The 2008 harvest was short on Pinot clone 667 and we had none of clone 113, so we probably won't bottle a separate "Fleur de la Vigne" this time around. The main blend will likely consist of all of the 667 and most of the Pom 4. We will do a small bottling of "Deux Cygnes".
Speaking of swans (Cygnes), the two swans on the main reservoir have just hatched 5 cygnets. We have a small island on the lake where they placed their nest. It is a beautiful sight to see the two proud parents shepherding the little ones. In years past, we've had anywhere from three to seven babies, but last year a late downpour drowned the nest. Every fall, the swans fly away, only to return in the spring. It will be fun to see the cygnets grow into their full beauty.
Last week, I got a call from Santa Rosa Junior College asking me to interview for an instructor position in viticulture and wine studies. Early on Tuesday, I sat down with three faculty members to answer their questions. I need to follow up with emails soon. A little paid side work is always helps, especially in these uncertain times!
Tomorrow, I'll leave with my kids to go on the annual Clary Family Vacation. Every year, my folks take my sisters and me and our families for a trip to some mystery location. Our destination is revealed at Christmastime. This year, we're headed to a dude ranch up in the High Sierras. We'll ride and fish and generally have a good time. It's great to have family so close that we can get together often. All of the cousins get along great, and gatherings are always raucous affairs filled with laughter and lively conversation. Yippee-Yi-Yo-Ki-Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment