Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Good...

I spent 6 hours in the saddle over two days at Greenhorn Creek Guest Ranch last weekend. My horse, Jericho, was very well trained. He'd respond immediately to whatever I asked of him. Four inches to the left to avoid that branch? No problem. A very good horse. He was not, however, what one would call, "gaited". At a lope, my spine was hammered! After a two hour ride, I would slide gingerly off of Jericho, steadying myself against him until my knees felt strong enough to support my weight again. Ah, the life of the weekend warrior!
Christopher, my 10-year-old son, rode every ride. His horse was named Champion. After the first ride, Christopher announced that he was going to buy Champion. Sounds like he had a good time. Olivia, Chris's twin sister, rode on two of the three rides. Liana and Patrick both went on one ride. 
Saturday night, the lead wrangler, Marty, and I traded turns at Karaoke in the Ranch Saloon. Besides the two of us, my mom & dad got up and sang "Hey Good Lookin", Christopher did an a cappella version of "Last Train to Clarksville", Liana sang "Eight Days a Week", and a couple groups of the ranch ladies got up to sing. I closed with a rendition of "Spill the Wine" that resulted in my getting a couple of drinks bought for me. Not bad, if I do say so myself!
The next morning, I woke with the first inkling of what was to be the worst cold I've had in ages. (Oink?)

No comments:

Post a Comment