Friday, April 24, 2009

Pouring on the Peninsula

Thursday, I picked up the kids right after school at three & went straight to my folks' place in Terra Linda. Left them there with Grandma and Papa, and got back on the road to Hiller Air Museum in San Carlos.
I was headed to a Venture Capital presentation. I knew that I was supposed to come, but with how much wine? How many people? I knew none of the details. The gathering was scheduled to begin at 5, and I left Terra Linda at about 20 to 4. Traffic wasn't bad, and I got thru the City and down to San Carlos by about an hour later.
When I got there, there was a check waiting for me, paying for one case of Pinot. I was to pour from that case and leave the remainder. Okay by me! I need to attend more functions like this.
They fed me sushi, garlic shrimp, carved tri-tip, seared ahi, roast beef on a skewer, crab cakes - and I was drinking the wine that they bought from me! OH... MY... GOSH! At one point I had people saying to me, in urgent, hushed tones: "Paul: Raise your hand and wave." They had just introduced me to a crowd of about a hundred. Sign me up for another tasting along these lines, please!
A speaker named Vinood Something talked at length about opportunities in green technology. As I was made to understand, he was a founder of Sun or Apple or Some Big Tech Firm. He was talking about getting into Billion-dollar markets on the cheap: just 50 million. These guys can afford my wine.
I invited interested guests to the Springtime Tasting in the Vineyard on May 2. I expect I'll see a couple of them, maybe more. There is the possibility of a BarnBurners shindig afterwards.
We'll see. I'm tired tonight.
Tomorrow morning is Petaluma's Butter & Egg Parade, and I'm in charge of the Petaluma Gap Winegrowers Alliance float: a 1947 Cletrac crawler pulling a cartload of winegrowers and some compost and a wine press. Gotta be in line by 8:30am, and we don't cross the STARTING line 'til 1:40. Look for me and my chillens! Christopher will be marching with the Boy Scouts, just ahead of Liana, Olivia and me with the Winegrowers float. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment