Sunday, April 5, 2009

Due Diligence

We had freezing temps last night also. We use a lot of our water with each time that we start up the pumps on these frosty nights. Regular irrigation during the growing season has the pumps running for about five hours per week. If we start the frost system at midnight, the pumps will run for seven to eight hours in one night! So there is great incentive NOT to run the system. The difficulty is in the fact that the decision to start pumping for frost must happen in anticipation that the temperature WILL drop to below freezing. I've seen the temperature drop toward the point of no return, but stop short and then climb!
Today, I spoke with Drew about getting the Type-02 winery license here on the ranch. There is a lot of financial groundwork that needs to be laid before we proceed whole-heartedly in the venture. Drew has an extensive background in business finance, while my inclinations are more in the intuitive/scientific realm. I have no patience for keeping books, but I know that they must be done. Drew pointed out the need for me to focus my efforts in those areas where I can contribute the most value. I confirmed his assessment, informing him of my recently being diagnosed with ADHLAP*. In spite of my challenges, I'm hopeful that we can see this venture through.
Tomorrow, I'll be following up with the printer to confirm our label proofs. We're quickly approaching the bottling date for the 2007 wines, and our Spring Pre-Release Party will be following shortly thereafter. I've got my kids with me for the next week (They do alternating weeks between Cathy and me). Busy busy busy!
It's 8:30 pm, and the vineyard temperature is 47 degrees. My alarm is set for 33.8 degrees. I hope we get a break tonight.

*Attention-Deficit-Hey-Look-A-Puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment