Sunday, October 18, 2009

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back!



When I checked the sugar on the Pinot two weeks ago, we were sitting at 21-22 degrees Brix. I'd like to harvest at 22.5-24. Since checking, the weather has been on the cool side, and last Tuesday we had some unseaonably torrential rains. We sprayed a preventive application of a fungicide to protect the grapes from rot in advance of the storm...

I did a small sampling yesterday, and the sugar was a half-degree LOWER!! I figure that the rains caused the grapes to absorb water, reducing the sugar concentration. I was hoping to harvest early this week, but you know the saying: "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." (Actually, the saying is adapted from a line in “To a Mouse,” by Robert Burns: “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”)

This morning, Matt Trulli, with MJ Lords Wine Cellars (where I'm doing my custom crush), came by to do a more comprehensive sampling. We'll run more thorough tests, including Brix, pH and Titratable Acidity (T.A.). MJ Lords is buying seven tons of the Pinot, and I'm hanging on to ten tons. I hope that their numbers are more accurate on the upside, of course.

We've got a forecast of a seventy percent chance of rain tomorrow, then sunny weather after that. Come on heatwave!! The Syrah is looking very iffy on getting ripe enough this year, and is currently sitting well under 20 degrees Brix. Thanksgiving Harvest, anyone? Ay Ay Ay!!!

In a little while, I'll head off to pick up Cathy, Patrick and Christopher, and we'll attend an Eagle Court of Honor with our Boy Scout Troop. I've got the kids with me for the upcoming week, starting tonight. Gotta get the house clean NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment