Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Green

Jared Souza and Matt Trulli, the two principals of MJ Lords Wine Cellars, are concerned about the Pinot. They've contracted to buy seven tons, and are having second thoughts.

Out here in the Petaluma Gap, there is a green bloom that appears on the ripening grapes. I saw it first many years ago, and was likewise concerned. I brought in a pest control advisor to assess the growth that was apparent. It looked like pennicillin, but what do I know? Rot? Is there something that I can spray? My advisor told me that it was benign; he said not to worry. So I didn't. I've made my wines every year with "the green".

Duncan Meyers, of Arnot-Roberts, buys a portion of the Syrah, and has joked with me about the Petaluma Gap Green. I have no qualms about the fruit and know that it will make delicious wine.
As I think back, I am reminded of the 2007 harvest, when I had contracted to supply fruit to Scott Rich, of Talisman Cellars. I set aside some of my best fruit for him, reserving as much as I reasonably could for myself. My own portion has made some of my most delicious wines ever. Early on, I was very pleased with the results, and I called to check on how Scott was doing with the fermentation. He told me that it was the worst fruit that he had purchased, and that he did not want to pay full price! Such a vast discrepancy in our assessments has mystified me until this year.

Jared and Matt don't have the benefit of my experience with "the green", and are understandably terrified. They've tasted the wines and they see the grapes, and there's a disconnect. The wines are beautiful and the grapes aren't. They've worked out a deal with Drew to take the grapes and make the wine, but if a problem develops, the wine is Drew's - they will not buy it. At least I know that we'll be picking the grapes one way or the other. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment