Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summertime

I just got back from a week at Scout camp with my boys. We were staying at Camp Hi-Sierra up off of Highway 108, 25 miles up from Sonora. No cell service. No computers. No wine. Lots of mosquitos. Actually, the mosquitos weren't such a great issue for me, but there were others at our campsite who were evidently tastier than I.
Friday was my 50th birthday. The other adult troop leaders asked the Camp Cook if he knew a recipe for Cherries Jubilee, since I love cherries and this being my "jubilee" birthday. Well, there are just a few ingredients, and two of them aren't permitted at Scout camp: alcohol and fire. So we settled on a Dutch Oven cherry-chocolate concoction, cooked with coals from our campfire. Delicious! Along with our dessert, we DID NOT enjoy a bit of cognac from a flask that one of the other leaders DID NOT bring to camp. We also DID NOT settle down with a bit of 7 and 7. We DID sleep well that night, mosquitos and all.
While I was away, Kristin was working on PR, and my new intern, Adrian, was hitting the pavement, bottles in hand, seeking out new trade accounts. I haven't caught up with them as of this writing. Yesterday, Drew sent me a draft grape contract for the upcoming harvest. I'll need to go over it with him ASAP.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I look like a local, those mosquitos were having cocktails on my skin in Hawaii and the Philippines! Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to be back. See you Thursday!

    ReplyDelete