Thursday, July 9, 2009

PinotDays

My, oh my, don't the days fly by when you're havin' fun.
Pinot Days, Sunday June 28
Sunday morning there's no water at the house. So I get up, go to my friends' house about two miles away, and take a shower in their sauna room. Back at home, Kristin meets me there, and we load up for the trip into San Francisco. We're running a bit late when we pick up Cassandra in Petaluma. Off we go to "don't call it Frisco".
When we arrive at about 12, there's a line of 150 tasters eager to get in and start tasting. The doors don't open 'til 1. We're all looking good in black pants and embroidered shirts. We find our table.
No electricity, and we're on the inner court, with no wall upon which to hang our lovely banner. I take the banner back to the truck. When I return, there are tasters at the table with Kristin and Cassandra. I jump in and do my song and dance, "Root to glass! I grow it, I make it, I sell it and I wash the bottles, too." The trade tasters have nametags. After awhile, I start seeing nametags saying, "Public". I'd like to know some names of the folks who come to taste.
There are sandwiches there for us. The Roast Beef goes great with my Syrah, of course! I opened a couple of bottles of Syrah for those in the know, for those who ask.
We're getting lot of great responses. People are signing up on the email list. A couple of fans buy some wine for immediate delivery (out in the parking lot after the tasting). A number of tasters inform us that all they've been hearing is "Clary Ranch, Clary Ranch!": Music to my ears.
I love these events. To meet and interact with so many wine aficionados (I do find the female sort to be particularly engaging!) is an invigorating experience.
Between Pres A Vi and the Grand Tasting, we've got over 30 adds to the mailing list! I've had events that got less than 10. This is our best response so far in those terms.
Toward the end of the event, Michael arrives. Michael is my son's fencing teacher, the Wine Wize Guy, and Kristin's boyfriend. Michael gets a mini tasting glass, a reflection of the cost-saving times in which we live.
After the tasting is over, we (Michael, Kristin, Cassandra and I, along with Chris Didato, one of my customers, and his girlfriend, whose name escapes me) savor the remains of the open bottle of Syrah at the tailgate of my truck, and then M, K, C & I walk over to Chestnut Street to find dinner. We bring along a bottle of the '06 Pinot. The girls have changed into evening attire and are looking beautiful.
We walk up the street several blocks, looking for the right place to eat. "No, let's look two blocks back." "Okay." Tramp tramp tramp... "No, maybe a block up." Tramp tramp tramp... "No maybe three blocks over." Tramp tramp tramp... "Wait, how about that place there..." Emporio Rulli Gran Caffe. Looks good to me. We're dining alfresco in San Francisco in June. The weather is glorious. It's a wonderful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment