Sunday, August 30, 2009

Baa-a-ad News!

I'm pecking this out on Sunday.
Last Tuesday was a doozy...

I was returning from a good tasting event at La Dolce Vita Wine Lounge. I picked up my two oldest, Liana and Patrick. As we drove toward the Ranch we talked about the possibilities of a family dive vacation. We drove on down the driveway, having a constructive conversation, a rare & precious thing between Liana & Patrick especially.
We approached John and Helen's house, and Greta jumped up from her "spot" outside their side gate.

Greta was getting a lot slower on these nightly trips back down the driveway.
I didn't want to wait for her, so I stopped and sent Patrick and Liana to put her in the truck. Greta ran alongside past the truck, and I, thinking she was off to the side, sped the truck forward. There was a sickening bump at the rear wheels. I had driven over her! She was howling in agony! I ran to her side, horrified at the pain I had caused. I could see it was bad. I reached down to assist her.

She grabbed my left hand and snapped/chewed it. I couldn't extract my hand. I called to Patrick, "Help me! I can't get my hand out, and she's breaking bones!", as she continued to crunch in her horrible suffering. My palm was impaled on the teeth of her lower jaw - the upper teeth were doing the breakage. Using my right hand, I managed to get her grip loosened (or she let me go!), and pulled my bleeding left hand free.

Greta was in a moan, and I scooped her up and placed her in the truck. Patrick rode in the back with her as we sped to the ranch. As we drove, I urged Liana, "Call Grandma & Papa and tell them what's happened!" Dad is, among other things, our veterinarian.

I stumbled into the house, feeling faint. Patrick was at my side. I had him fetch some ice water. He asked if I needed pain killers. I told him to call his mom.

Cathy came over, and we headed out to her car. As we passed my truck, I could see Greta's stilled body lying quietly in the back. My faithful companion of over 13 years was gone.

Cathy took me to the Petaluma Valley Hospital Emergency Room (we arrived at 9:50PM) and stayed with me 'til late. I was treated and discharged at about 8AM.

Needless to say; I'm still healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment