Saturday, November 7, 2009

Harvesting Syrah, Part One

Duncan Meyers, the winemaker for Arnot-Roberts, called for picking on Wednesday, November 4th. We began picking in the morning, harvesting about 1-1/2 tons, and finished by 11 am. The sugar was at about 21.8 degrees Brix. I decided to take further advantage of the beautiful weather that we had been having, leaving my allotment to hang awhile longer.

The next day, light rains began. I was concerned for the grapes, but then, Syrah is a thick-skinned varietal, and the bunches are looser than Pinot Noir, so I felt optimistic that we'd be okay. The birds seemed to be content to browse in the already-picked Pinot blocks, and I held my breath and crossed my fingers...

The next few days, we had more warm weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment